Running a successful law firm involves balancing many things at once. In addition to managing…
How recently have you worked on marketing your law firm? Has it been a few weeks? A few months? Marketing often gets overlooked or put to the side indefinitely in busy law firms. This is understandable since the purpose of a law firm is to practice law, not manage campaigns.
Hiring a marketing agency to handle your marketing initiatives not only allows you and your staff members to focus on your law practice, but it will also boost your visibility and credibility. Here are some things to consider when looking for a marketing agency and handling marketing activities in general.
Avoid These Mistakes
Here are some simple yet important things to avoid when trying to cover your marketing needs:
- Don’t expect your paralegals or legal assistants to handle your firm’s marketing. Law firm staff members are legal professionals, not marketing experts. Effective marketing takes a lot of time and effort. It is better to let people who are trained in marketing handle these tasks than to create a stressful work environment for your staff.
- Don’t just hire the first marketing agency that pops up in your Google search. Shop around and interview several agencies to find the right fit.
- Don’t hire your competitor’s marketing agency. As an attorney, you should immediately see that there would be a conflict of interest.
↠ eBook: How to Market and Grow Your Elder Law Practice ↞
Do This Instead
Here are some things to keep in mind while you’re looking for a marketing agency.
- Many marketing agencies exist out there, but you will be best served by one that specializes in helping law firms, especially law firms practicing in your area of the legal field. When looking for an agency, look through different agency websites for content and blog posts on topics related to the type of law you practice. Look at the agencies’ clients and their testimonials. When you talk with the agencies, ask them legal-specific questions to make sure they understand your area of law.
- When you are interviewing marketing agencies, ask about the services they offer. You may be best served by an agency that offers a wide range of services rather than a narrow focus. Choose the services you want to begin with, knowing you can add others later. Working with the same company on all aspects of marketing will help keep your marketing initiatives streamlined and consistent.
Questions to Ask Potential Agencies
Before interviewing different marketing agencies, make a list of questions to ask to get a sense of which agencies will be a good fit for your firm. Here are some basic questions:
- How responsive are you when we have an issue or a question?
- Will we have a dedicated point of contact?
- What services will we have access to?
- How much of the marketing activities require our participation? Will you cover all our marketing needs?
- If any issues arise, what is your resolution process?
- How often will we get reports on the effectiveness of our marketing efforts?
- How quickly can we see a return on investment?
>>> Finding Success With Law As a Business–Kevin Camden’s Story <<<
Listen for answers that show the agency functions as a cohesive team that offers a client-centric approach. In addition to answering your questions, it is a good sign if they ask you questions such as:
- How did you hear about us, and what inspired you to contact us?
- What do you like and dislike about your current marketing efforts?
- What marketing efforts are working for you? What is not working? Where do you see the need for improvement?
- What are your marketing and business goals?
- What is your idea of an ideal working relationship?
Law As a Business
Law As a Business (LAB) is a law firm-focused marketing and communications agency specializing in elder law and estate planning. We help practitioners and firms run efficient, profitable law firms through creative solutions. Contact us today to learn how we can develop and deliver solutions that help you meet your business goals.